Create Your Very Own Private Retreat
Whether it’s the Turkish hammam, Japanese onsen, or Korean jimjilbang, the bath has been universally revered for the ultimate in relaxation, mind clearing, and body purifying. While most of us don’t have easy access to a bathhouse (Iceland’s Blue Lagoon would be nice too), we can transform our humble bathtub into an oasis of calm with a few easy steps.
Bath therapy has been shown to relieve stress, improve sleep, and even prevent illness and reduce chronic inflammation. We also love that you can customize your bath for your skin type. Treat dry skin with a soothing milk bath or detoxify with bath salts and essential oils.
Find the perfect night to stay in, and create your own private retreat with our tips below:
- First off, make it a tech-free zone. Aside from selecting the playlist on your phone, and letting the tunes play, all notifications should be on silent.
- Jump in the shower first. It’s important to exfoliate prior to your bath. A quick shower with our Hit Restart Detoxifying Scrub opens your pores and gets you squeaky clean. Your freshly cleansed skin is now ready to absorb all the goodness from your bath.
- Allot at least 20 minutes for your soak.
- Engage all the senses. Set the mood with soft lighting, music, and an aromatherapy candle to make it a multisensory experience.
- Adjust the water temperature. Make your bath just slightly hotter than is comfortable, but not scalding. You want to make it hot enough so you will perspire, to release toxins and clear your sinuses.
- Apply your favorite facial mask. Multi-task and enhance your mask’s effectiveness with the extra heat.
- Leave a glass of water within reach. Or wine if you prefer--but with wine, make sure you have a glass of water after your bath. You’ll feel a bit dehydrated afterwards from the perspiration.
- Customize your bath. For a detox bath, pour 1 to 2 cups of bath salts or Epsom salt and 10-15 drops each of lavender and eucalyptus oils. The salts relieve sore muscles and soothe irritated skin, while lavender and eucalyptus calm inflammation. To hydrate, combine 1 can of organic coconut milk with a couple tablespoons of honey. The scent is divine and your skin will feel heavenly.
- Now for the best part—immerse yourself and close your eyes. Breathe deeply and try our 3-minute meditation for a total mind and body experience.
Now as you step out of the bath, and wrap yourself in your bathrobe, revel in your skin’s glorious dewiness, and spritz your face with a hydrating toner. As you dive into your sheets, fall to sleep like a baby. Sweet dreams.
Prepare your sanctuary beforehand. Declutter and tidy up your bathroom prior to drawing your bath. Also ensure that your bed has freshly cleaned sheets. Your bath will feel all the more luxurious when your surroundings are clean.