Wholesome Foods to supercharge your fitness results
How do you accomplish your workout goals faster? With properly timed, wholesome foods prior to and after your work out!
Fueling your body with the right balance of carbohydrates, lean proteins, and fats, at crucial times will maximize your performance and build more muscle strength during your next sweat session.
Pre-Workout Nutrition: Focus on Fast-Digesting Carbs and Protein 30 to 60 Minutes Pre-Workout
Your body needs a 2:1 ratio of carbs and protein to boost energy and deliver muscle-building amino acids to your muscles during your workout. We recommend a mix of complex and simple carbs for a slow and steady release of energy to sustain your workout.
Here, we list quick and easy to make foods to crush your next workout and deliver essential nutrients to your muscles in order to build stronger muscles and aid recovery.
- Whole wheat toast with sliced banana and cinnamon—the banana replenishes your body with potassium while cinnamon increases energy levels
- Classic apple and peanut butter combo with a sprinkling of chia seeds for extra energy
- Greek yogurt with berries, granola, and a drizzle of honey for a protein-packed boost
- For morning workouts, blend a coffee almond coconut smoothie with banana – caffeine increases muscle strength if taken before your workout (full recipe can be found here: http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/maria-menounos-coffee-coconut-almond-frosty)
- Almond butter slathered on rice cakes—the perfect blend of protein and simple carbs
- For those that meal-prep, consider setting aside a snack sized portion for an afternoon pre-workout snack – we like a simple grilled chicken with sweet potato combo
Also, remember to also stay hydrated! Here’s a good rule of thumb: 2 glasses of water, 2 hours before exercise.
Post-Workout Nutrition: High-Protein Foods Within the 1 Hour Window for Muscle Recovery
In order to aid your body in repairing and building muscles (especially after strength training), choose protein rich foods (20 to 30 grams of protein) within an hour of your workout.
These foods are loaded with protein and healthy fats to replenish lost nutrients:
- Pineapple Coconut Smoothie—blend together pineapple, coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, and Greek yogurt – high in protein and rich in anti-inflammatory pineapple , which is the fruit for muscle recovery
- Sweet Potato Smoothie with almond milk and cinnamon, sweet potatoes are a nutritionally dense superfood which helps restore your body’s glycogen level after a workout
- Turkey on whole grain wrap with avocado –whole grains, high protein, and healthy fats to fight inflammation
- Spinach and egg white omelette—egg protein is easily digested and absorbed by the body, and spinach is rich in iron, which speeds muscle growth
- Tuna salad sandwich – rich in protein and omega-3s to reduce post-workout inflammation and lubricate your joints
Fytt Perspective Plan your pre and post workout meals in advance of your workout. Stock your refrigerator with a few of these superfoods at the start of the week to prevent binging on high-calorie low nutrient foods post-workout. By mentally preparing yourself for a healthy meal before and after your workout, you are more likely to follow through and commit to the plan!